Thursday, October 21, 2010

Apple coffee cake

Apple season is in FULL force. And I am not one to be left behind on ANYTHING kitchen related. I have been baking and cooking with apples for weeks now.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Isn't that what they say?
What I love best about baking is that my house gets all nice and cozy warm and smells better than any candle can make it smell. Of course my waist line could do without it, but I can't say that I MISS my girlish figure, I am still carrying around my toddler figure. :)
Apple coffee cake is something I have always wanted to try my hand at and a post by Betty Crocker led me to the path that I wanted to take. Of course I changed a bit here and there to make it my own. Not a lot of changes but a thing here and there. I personally don't like nuts in my breads and desserts so I purposely leave those out. But if you are nuts about nuts, by all means try it with them mixed in.
One of the nice things about making this coffee cake was that everything was mixed my hand. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE using my mixer, but for something this fast it was nice to not have to pull it out of its little cubby hole.
I did end up doubling the coffee cake batter portion of the cake as I think my square pan is a bit larger than 9 inches. It made a fabulously puffy bread that I am sure you will enjoy with your morning coffee.


STREUSEL TOPPING
  • 2/3 cup Original Bisquick mix
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
COFFEE CAKE

  • 2 cups Original Bisquick mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 medium cooking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
GLAZE
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 to 3 tsps milk
  1. heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix 2/3 cup Bisquick mix, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until crumbly; set aside.
  2. In medium bowl, stir together 2 cups Bisquick mix, 2/3 cup milk, the granulated sugar and egg; beat vigorously for 30 seconds with a spoon. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. arrange apple slicked on batter; sprinkle with half of the streusel topping. Spread with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining topping. Sprinkle with nuts.
  3. Bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack for about 20 minutes. In a small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over warm, NOT HOT, coffee cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment