Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FRESH Caramel Apple cake

About a month ago my friend S told me about apple picking in the Queen of England's winter home's orchards. Now I have lived in England for 6 years so far and this was the first time I had heard of this! I called my friend B and off we went with our familes to pick the Queens apples from the Queens orchards and enjoy some apple yummys. I am not lying to you when I say that I came home with about 10 - 12 kilos of apples. FABULOUS! But what the heck was I going to do with all that.
Well first I baked a pie. And then another and then another. I gave those away. :) I LOVE apple pie but a family can only go through so much of it.
Two french apple pies and a double crust pie. The only reason I made French apple pies was because I ran out of crust and had nothing for the top. I think fast on my baking feet sometimes. My crust is fabulously flaky and I use it for just about everything. I just cant get it to set up properly. Tastes great; looks terrible. Practice makes perfect I always say. Just keep making it and eventually it will come out the way I want it to.

This cake I made a couple of weeks ago. It was a hit! Everyone loved it and everyone wanted more. I have made this cake three times since then and am so thankful I had bunches of apples from the picking. Each cake takes 3 cups of apples. The batter was THICK and sticky and very tough to mix after all the flour went in. I thank my good sense for buying a heavy duty mixer 6 years ago. Without it I would be completely lost. In fact I have been toying with the idea of getting a second. But I was promptly talked out of that and convinced that the best thing would be to just get another bowl and flat mixer blade.
I should point out that this cake is dangerously good. I love the gooey mixed with the spice of the cake. If you have apples that you need to do something with and you and your family are all pied out, I recommend you try this cake.
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 cups chopped apples, such as Rome Beauty
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • Brown sugar topping, below

Preparation:

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside. Beat eggs; add sugar and oil and beat for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in sifted dry ingredients. Fold in apples and vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Invert on a plate or platter, pour topping over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let cool.  
Topping
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Combine topping ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil and boil for 3 minutes. Pour over cake right out of the oven.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! I just need to remember to pick up some apples and then make it BEFORE my children realize there are apples in the fridge and they are all gone within the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is DELICIOUS! You will not regret making it! Well maybe...Just don't think of the calorie content. LOL

    ReplyDelete